Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Arial

I think about font and type all the time, looking at different fonts while choosing one for a paper I may write or a letter I may type to someone is always interesting. I feel that fonts are a way of expressing yourself. You can use a bold font when you want to make a point or you are angry, and when you are happy you could choose a fun font that makes you happy when you use it. Type and font have always interested me, in school I would see how other people write and the dark or lightness of their writing was always interesting to me.

 


Arial was invented in 1982 by Robin Nicholas and Patricia Saunders for Monotype Typography. Arial has many variants to its original typeface for example; Arial Black, Bold, Extra Bold, Condensed, Italic, Light, Medium, Monospaced, Narrow, and Rounded. It is rarely used in advertising or in the media because of its competitor, Helvetica.


The font Arial is a classic font in my mind, although some people may say it is a boring version of Helvetica I prefer it. People can also argue that Arial is a copy font to Helvetica and the difference between them is very minimal. Everytime I open a Word document I chose Arial for my font. I think it is clean and simple. 

Some movie posters have used Arial for their typeface, including Pride and Glory and Persepolis. 


Not many people choose Arial as their choice of font but I do, and I would choose it over Helvetica any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment